Friday 30 May 2014

What skin care products are ideal for you!

Hey everyone,
So something you don't know about me is that I am very interested in skin care. I have done lots of research and in the past I have spent a lot of my time with trying to find answers to my skin problems. This has helped me gain a lot of knowledge and through trial and error and I have now come to know the products that work for me and the ones that don't. Some other facts about me are that I got to tafe (which is like college) and study beauty, skincare and makeup retail which has broadened my understanding of skin care so much more. The other bit of information about me that relates to the topic is that I recently got a job at my local pharmacy and I spent a good amount of time talking to one of the cosmeticians about skincare which was so informative. I could make a whole other post about the history of my skin and what I am currently using but this post is about finding your skin type and what products are best for you. So here it goes :)

First of all something everyone one should know and keep in mind is that there are more than one skin type. Everyones skin is different and that means their skin will each react differently. Just because one person you know has had success with a certain product doesn't mean you necessarily will. The trick to overcoming this is to first find out what skin type you have and then start looking for products which have good reviews from people with your skin type. You might be wondering how do I find out what skin type? The following I have put together to help you discover your skin type and what products are best suited for you. 

Oily Skin: People with oily skin have enlarged pores, have a shine to their skin, are prone to breakouts, blackheads and feel greasy. 
Types of products: 
  • Cleanser - Foaming or milk ~ eg. Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser 
  • Toner - With astringent (not if sensitive) ~ eg. Tea Tree and Witch Hazel Toner
  • Moisturiser - Mattifying and oil free ~ eg. Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturiser
Dry Skin: People with dry skin tend to have tight and flaky skin especially after washing their face and they don't tend to develop much oil at all. 
Types of products:
  • Cleanser - cream ~ eg. QV Intensive Moisturising Cleanser 
  • Toner - No astringent (rosewater) ~ eg. Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner 
  • Moisturiser - cream ~ eg. Natio Evening Primrose Moisturising Face Lotion
Normal Skin: People whose skin isn't dry, oily or have any obvious pores. They have rare breakouts and their skin is easy to handle.
Types of products:
  • Cleanser - Anything really (milk, cream or foam) ~ eg. Natio Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser
  • Toner - No astringent (rosewater) ~ eg. Nivea Visage Pure & Natural Cleansing Toner
  • Moisturiser - Lotion or cream ~ eg. Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion
Sensitive Skin: Easily irritated, goes red, gives you a rash, is itchy and skin reacts badly easily.
Types of products:
  • Cleanser - Depends on skin type but gentle, natural and with no harsh products ~ eg. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
  • Toner - Depends on skin type (preferably without astringent) ~ eg. Natio Rosewater and Chamomile Gentle Skin Toner
  • Moisturiser - Depends on skin type but for sensitive skin and is gentle ~ eg. Sukin Sensitive Face Moisturiser 
Combination Skin: People whose skin are more than two skin types. For example oily in your T-zone and normal to dry on your cheeks. 
Types of products: (I didn't recommend any products because it varies on the combination of skin)
  • Cleanser - Milk and/or foam on T-zone (depending on what type of combination skin)
  • Toner - With or without astringent 
  • Moisturiser - Oily free on T-zone and cream or lotion of cheeks (depending on what type of combination skin)

No comments:

Post a Comment